Auto leaks can be costly. If they are not fixed, then your car’s transmission, engine, or cooling system can become severely damaged. This can result in spending hundreds of dollars to get these components fixed. Below we explore some of the most common leaks in your vehicle and what you can do to get them fixed.
Your Car’s Fluid Requirements
Most vehicles that come into our service center still require various fluids throughout the engine system to operate. Here’s a rundown of all the major fluids in your car.
● Gasoline. Fuel leaks are among the most dangerous of all the leaks in your car due to the high-flammability of gasoline. If you suspect a gas leak, then you should bring your car into our service center right away for an inspection.
● Oil. Oil is vital to the protection of all the moving parts in your engine. Without it, they’d never last more than an hour or two. Oil is the darkest fluid in your engine. Therefore, if you notice dark drips on the driveway, then it’s probably an oil leak. We need to look at your car to determine where the leak is coming from.
● Transmission Fluid. Your car’s transmission is responsible for automatic or manual shifting when the car is speeding up or slowing down. Transmission fluid is required to keep the gears shifting smoothly. New transmission fluid is bright red or pink when it is new. It also has a distinct smell that is different than oil. We repair transmission leaks to keep the gears in the transmission from overheating and breaking.
● Coolant/Antifreeze. The normal operating temperature in a vehicle ranges from 195 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit. For this reason, coolant is needed to keep the engine in that temperature range. If the engine gets any hotter, then it could overheat and crack. For this reason, we should check your coolant levels and replace the old coolant annually. This should keep your engine well within a normal temperature range.
● Brake Fluid. Without fluid, the brakes in your vehicle will quickly wear out. If the fluid is low or non-existent, you may feel a choppiness in your braking, squeals in the brakes, or no ability to brake at all. We can identify and fix brake line leaks relatively quickly. The procedure is easy and inexpensive.
Big Jim’s Auto Can Fix All Your Leaks
Whether you drive a personal or commercial vehicle, bring your automobile to Big Jim’s Automotive for all your leak repairs. Our technicians are certified and highly trained to fix leaks and foreign and domestic cars. Call us today at 319-261-0999 to schedule a leak inspection or come by our service center. We provide services for all cars in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.